Wednesday 17 March 2010

Here comes the Squish... Part 3

The registrars invited the rest of the procession back into the little room while they went off to prepare the guests for our entrance. Mum and Jim (my brother) were the first to walk down the aisle followed by Beth and Laura and the last to arrive in the room would be me and my Dad! We all took a deep breath; you could feel the emotion and nerves in the room. By this time I was actually really excited, it would only be a few more moments until I was back with my fiancé. After living with each other for over 5 years it was strange not to have spent the night before our wedding together! I just wanted to see his face smiling at me!

The music started...

I had known from early into the engagement there was no way I would be walking down the aisle to ‘Hear comes the bride’. A few different ideas had been throw around including Pachelbel's Canon in D on classical guitar, an acoustic version of Stairway to Heaven, allsorts!! There was one song that had always been in the back of my mind, it never seemed like it would be possible as the lyrics to the song are quite sad and a little religious so would not be allowed at our civil ceremony. I searched the internet for weeks trying to find an instrumental version but nothing. It looked like it was going to be Pachelbel after all. UNTIL! My Bridesmaid Beth’s fiancé Jay came to the rescue, he and his friend Ben actually recorded me my very own version of the song ‘Hear You Me’ by Jimmy Eat World. It was perfect! There was no song I would rather have had – the version they played for me was perfect. I cannot thank them enough for what they did. As the track started to play and mum and Jim disappeared into the ceremony room I knew I was moments away from becoming a wife…

The girls were next! Now they shouldn’t have had any problem walking down the aisle in there little heeled shoes….i failed to mention this in Part 1 of my story but on Friday the 19th after my bridesmaids and I set up the room and arranged the candy table we thought it wise to practise our timings when walking down the aisle, well, we must have walked back and forth 15,000 (hehe) times and ohhh how chuffed we were when we had nailed it! All this ‘training’ went straight out of the window! Shortly after the girls disappeared behind the door the co-ordinator directed me and Dad down the aisle. So off we went…..

As I walked into the room I was beaming, everyone was looking at me and smiling it was magical, as I turned the corner and headed for my husband to be, my eyes met his and TEARS!!

Damn it!! Id done so well all morning!!!! As my eyes met the tear dripping eyes of my fiancé I had a little weep and sought refuge in my dads arm, as I quickly pulled myself together and un-scrunched my face I managed to smile again and there he was, I kissed my dad, handed my bouquet to Moo and hugged my fiancé for the last time. 


We took a seat and he registrar welcomed us, we began the ceremony proceedings, she welcomed all of our guests and outlined the importance of the binding contract we were about to enter into. After this we had our first reading, A Special Person, read by my auntie:

A Special Person
Author Unknown

Sometimes in life,
You find a special person
Someone who can change your life,
Just by being part of it
Someone who will laugh with you
And cry with you
Someone who can make you believe
That there really is good in the world
Love isn't the person
You can see yourself with
It's the person
You can't see yourself without. 



The registrar then asked us to stand and face each other and we would begin the contracting words, Rob went first and then I followed repeating after the registrar:

I declare that I know of no legal reason why I, Susannah Kate P, may not be joined in marriage to Robert Luke E 


We then had our second reading read by Joanna, Robs sister-in-law:

On Your Wedding Day
Author Unknown

Today is a day you will always remember
The greatest in anyone's life
You'll start off the day just two people in love
And end it as Husband and Wife

It's a brand new beginning the start of a journey
With moments to cherish and treasure
And although there'll be times when you both disagree
These will surely be outweighed by pleasure

You'll have heard many words of advice in the past
When the secrets of marriage were spoken
But you know that the answers lie hidden inside
Where the bond of true love lies unbroken

So live happy forever as lovers and friends
It's the dawn of a new life for you
As you stand there together with love in your eyes
From the moment you whisper 'I do'

And with luck, all your hopes, and your dreams can be real
May success find it's way to your hearts
Tomorrow can bring you the greatest of joys
But today is the day it all starts. 


It was finally time to complete our contracting words and make the marriage official:

I Susannah Kate P take you, Robert Luke E to be my wedded husband 


Rob had decided in his infinite wisdom to choose some additional vows to exchange to each other, I was only made aware of these in my registrar interview a mere 10 minutes before I would walk down the aisle and smack him!! Luckily, as the registrar explained to me, they are written on a card and it is handed to us each in turn to read to each other – Phew! Here are the words he chose:

I swear I will love you with my whole heart and think my life well spent if I can make you happy too. 


We were then pronounced Husband and Wife and we had a great big smooch!! There was a huge round of applause and everyone was smiling and beaming at us! That was it – all the planning and preparation for that moment right there! Now we could all relax, you could almost feel the mood lift in the room! Now the fun could begin! 


We had chosen the following music to play while we signed the registrar and had lots of photos taken

Signing the Register

Israel Kamakawiwo Ole' - Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Moldy Peaches – Anyone else but you
Jose Gonzales - Heartbeats
Jack Johnson – Better Together
Beach Boys – Wouldn’t it be Nice

In honour of Suzie's Hen Party we scowled like pirates!

We stood together as husband and wife about to exit the room down our red carpeted, rose petal sprinkled aisle to the following music from…..STAR WARS! Instrumental - The Throne Room and End Title – John Williams. 


Everyone laughed as the recognized the music, we walked past our guests and out of the room for our first married couple drink!

Read part 1 and part 2 here

Photographs by Razor Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails