Monday 9 November 2009

Look after yourself


Urgh!  I'm suffering with a horrible cold.  Runny/blocked nose, chesty cough, dark eyes, and dry, red skin around my nose and lips.

I feel and look terrible.

I'm really conscious of being ill this time next year, it's the start of winter when both Has and I always seem to fall ill and bright red noses won't look too great on the photos!

Has seems to have a low immunity to colds and coughs and always catches whatever is going around.  I want to try and help boost his immune system and keep him healthy for this wedding!

My Nan swears by honey.  She said it's a natural antiseptic and can help boost your immune system.  I remember when I was younger my Nan always gave me hot honey and lemon to drink when I had a cold or a sore throat.  There must be some truth behind it as my Nan is hardly ever ill, so I've had a look into it.

Honey is amazing!

"Thanks to its antimicrobial properties, honey not only soothes throats and coughs but can also kill certain bacteria that causes the infection"


"Raw, unpasteurized honey is rich in elements which can help with wound healing, kill bacteria, soothe sore throats and digestive upset, and decrease local allergy symptoms."


It even helps cure hangovers!

I think I'm going to start having a hot honey and lemon in the morning with my breakfast.  It's only 1 Slimming World Syn so I think I can stretch to that!

I'm all for natural remedies as I'm not too keen on putting artificial vitamins into my body if I can do it naturally.  For one thing vitamins are so expensive! Plus I've taken them before and never really seen any benefits.

A few other things I've come across suggest reducing your caffeine intake, especially coffee.  It robs your body of vitamins and minerals and also dehydrates you.  For every cup of coffee you drink you should have 2 glasses of water to compensate.  Staying hydrated also keeps you healthy and prevents headaches.  I always try to drink plenty of water as I do find I get headaches if I don't, it also makes me feel full.  I don't tend to snack as much if I'm keeping myself hydrated

Lemon juice is also good for you as it helps the body maintain it's natural PH levels which supports healthy bacteria - so I'll definitely be having a hot mug of honey and lemon in the morning!

I've also found that kiwi fruit contains more vitamin C than oranges.  Vitamin C helps by protecting cells from harmful toxins.  Broccoli, berries, tomatoes and spinach are also good sources of Vitamin C

Foods such as bananas, carrots, tuna, and sunflower seeds are all rich in Vitamin B6, which boosts the production of antibodies to fight off infections.
Zinc also helps keep a healthy immune system as well as being good for your skin (always a plus!)  Seafood, eggs and turkey are all good sources of zinc

So basically I need to up my intake of Vitamin C (but not too much as it can cause upset stomachs..!) Vitamin B6 and Zinc.  Have a hot honey and lemon every morning and drink plenty of water!.

I shall let you know if any of this makes any difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails