Friday 26 February 2010

Before I knew...

I love asking Has question about how he planned to propose, maybe it's because I'm a details person or just because I'm nosey but I seriously can not get enough of these stories.

From very early on in our relationship we had spoken about marriage and I'd always said I wanted Has to ask my parents for their permission.  It wasn't because we needed their approval, but it's one of the old fashioned traditions I really loved.  I also think my Dad would have been disappointed if he hadn't have been asked.  My parents knew that I wanted Has to ask them, and would often joke with Has how they would only agree if Has was wearing an Aston Villa Football shirt.  Has is an avid Birmingham City supporter.  (If you don't know about football, these teams are serious rivals!)  It's a good job Has and my parents get on so well else there may not have been a proposal!

Me and Has with my parents

He told me he remembers the exact moment he knew he wanted to propose.  Early July 2008 he went to see Morrissey with his brother, he told his brother, Taz, there that he was planning on doing it.  Later that month
my cousin got married. Whilst I was preoccupied helping Alison get ready, Has took my parents aside and said something along the lines of "I'm not wearing a Villa shirt, but....!"  Obviously my parents were shocked and over joyed!  I seriously do not know how they kept it a secret for 2 months!

My Mom and Has had figured out that my ring finger was the same size as my Mom's little finger.  Without my knowledge she had to go to a jewellers to get it measured and relay that information to Has!  Sneaky!  Has knew the type of styles I liked for an engagement ring but I have to say he did such an amazing job picking out my ring.  I couldn't be happier with it.

My "Oh I'm just posing, what's that you ask?  Just my ROCK!" pose

The day before we were due to fly to Las Vegas, we had to drive down to Heathrow as our flight left very early morning.  Before setting out on the journey we decided it would be a good idea to grab something to eat so I popped out to MacDonald's to pick us up some fast food.  Little did I know Has was showing my Mom the ring and making sure it fit her little finger!

I could listen to these tales again and again, I love knowing the details and how (practically) everyone knew and was in on the surprise before I was!
The day we got to Las Vegas I rang my parents to say we had arrived safely and rambled on about how gorgeous and hot it was... meanwhile 5235 miles away my parents and brother were huddled around the phone expecting me to shout "We're engaged!"   I saved that for 5am the next morning!

It was such an important few months in the run up to one of the most significant moments of my life and I almost resent not being part of it (My control freak side coming out!)  Saying that I'm glad it came as a surprise, and I wouldn't change a single part of it for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails