Sunday 20 December 2009

I wont do what you tell me

For the first time since 1998 I listened to the Christmas chart countdown, why you ask?  Because for the first time the XFactor winner (Joe Mcelderry) was challenged to the number 1 spot by Rage Against the Machine!

For the last few years the Christmas Number 1 spot has automatically gone to the XFactor winner however this year the "people" decided enough was enough and Facebook and Twitter campaigns were started to get Rage's "Killing in the Name" to Christmas Number 1.  This has been huge, everyone has been talking about it.
I didn't jump on the bandwagon straight away, I was just glad Joe wasn't singing Journey's hit!  That was until I read this.  It annoys me how some people assume that because Joe won the XFactor that he is entitled to the Christmas number 1 spot.  Well Joe and Simon Cowell are now well and truely eating their words because by the power of social media Rage Against the Macine took the number 1 spot selling 500,000 downloads of "Killing in the Name"

During the run up to the countdown Rage Against the Machine promised to do a free gig in the UK if they reached number 1 and they have also donated the earnings to a homeless charity Shelter

Even though I'm not Radio 1's biggest fan it was well worth listening to the chart just to hear Zac from Rage say "We would like to congratulate Joe and Simon for having the number two single in the charts"  ouch!

This has made my weekend!



1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails